The USAID-funded Health Financing Improvement Program seeks to strengthen the health financing functions and systems to support universal health coverage of quality primary health care (PHC) services for Ethiopian citizens. Project objectives include increasing domestic resource mobilization for enhanced provision of quality PHC services, streamlining pooling of risk-sharing/insurance mechanisms for wider access to PHC services with reduced financial barriers, facilitating strategic purchasing of health services from public and private health providers, and improving governance, management and evidence-generation for health financing reforms and health facilities.
Under the supervision and direction of the SNNP and Gambella Regional Team Leader, the Health Insurance Specialist is primarily responsible for technically supporting and coordinating implementation of health insurance (both community-based health insurance and social health insurance) programs as stipulated in project intermediate result (IR) 2. S/he is also significantly involved in work conducted under other project IRs, such as designing and supporting implementation of provider payment mechanisms (PPMs) and contributing to health insurance related operational research. The position is based in the projectís regional office in Hawassa, with local travel as required.
Location: Hawassa Office.
Applicants must be local or willing to relocate to the assigned region/city, if selected.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and leadership of the SNNP and Gambella Regional Team Director:
- Assist with coordination and technically lead the projectís health insurance activities in both regions. Effectively support the expansion of the community-based health insurance (CBHI) program and facilitate the launch and implementation of the social health insurance (SHI) in the regions.
- Conduct and contribute to activities that institutionalize and transition health insurance capacity to regional health bureaus (RHBs), universities, and in-service training centers.
- Provide technical support to the RHBs and EHIA branch offices in expanding and consolidating CBHI in the region.
- Provide technical support to EHIA branch offices in launching and implementing SHI in Sidama region.
- Provide technical assistance and support in refining implementation and training manuals on the operations and management of CBHI. Support the regional project team in overseeing training for CBHI schemes.
- Collaborate with the regional project teams and the RHBs in designing and implementing a supportive supervision system for CBHI schemes.
- Assist RHBs in creating/raising public awareness of the CBHI and SHI programs.
- Participate in brainstorming on how to digitize the CBHI data management system, during design, piloting and scale-up of digitization.
- Help facilitate networking amongst stakeholders engaged in CBHI and SHI programs in the regions.
- Work closely with the project team and government counterparts to help ensure continued political and financial support for expanded coverage/implementation of CBHI and the roll-out of SHI are secured in both regions.
- Initiate/contribute to and/or help identify health insurance research agendas/topics pertinent to the region or beyond. Contribute to research studies (e.g., data collection, analysis, dissemination) conducted in the region by central office teams and/or sub-grantees.
- Coordinate with project quality improvement and quality assurance specialists at the projectís central level to help ensure the provision of quality healthcare services for health insurance members in the region.
- Collaborate with the projectís health systems and governance team in the design and implementation of PPMs that support the provision of quality and affordable health care services for health insurance members by both public and private providers. Also contribute to the design, pilot testing, and scale-up of alternative PPMs.
- Provide technical support on the use of evidence for policy process/decision-making by government and its stakeholders.
- Produce high-quality and timely inputs for monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) and implementation plans, quarterly/annual/final performance reports, and other reports and deliverables.
- Write and/or contribute to project learning materials such as articles for project newsletter, working papers, success stories, presentations, and other inputs to support the projectís learning agenda.
- Under the guidance, delegation and leadership of the SNNP and Gambella Regional Team Director, represent the project in meetings, policy and technical consultations, and in partnership meetings.
- The Masterís Degree in Health Economics, Health Finance, Economics, Finance, Management, Health Policy, Public Health, or other relevant field.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in health insurance, health finance, health economics, health financing policy, general insurance, banking, health management, or other relevant experience.
- Experience working on USAID-funded projects is highly desirable.
- Experience in the planning, design, and management of insurance schemes, preferably health insurance.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members and to contribute to other colleagues work.
- Solid management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
- Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner.
- Proven experience of capacity building and team work with other stakeholders, notably government counterparts at different levels.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong writing skills both in English and Amharic.
- Fluency in English, Amharic and local language - Sidamena is required.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel).
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.